we would like to
state that the Tourist Police is a special unit
of Nepal Police, which is working under Ministry
of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation, Tourism
Industry Division. Our office is located at Bhrikuti
Mandap, Kathmandu, Tourist Service Center Building,
and also we have complaint counters at the Airport
and Basantapur Durbar Square. We are always attentive
to deal with the problems of tourist and we are
very sensitive in your security.
Tourist Police assures
a safe and pleasant stay to all the visitors in
Nepal. Tourist Poice is a special unit of Nepal
Police, which was established in 1979 under the
Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation.
The main function and responsibility of Tourist
Police is to look after the welfare of tourist
and to assure them a pleasant and a memorable
stay in Nepal. Our function is to advise and assist
tourist in safety and security during traveling,
trekking, rafting and hotel stay in any part of
With a dedicated
workforce of 41 (Forty One) policeman, Tourist
Police conduct various activities. The main office
of the Tourist Police is situated at Bhrikutimandap
in the building complex of Nepal Tourism Board
Phone No. 4247041. We remain open 8 AM to 8 PM
weekdays and 10 AM to 5 PM on Public Holidays.
The function of Tourist Police is carried out
by local Police specially outside Kathmandu valley.
of Tourist Policemen
Inspector - 1
Sub Inspector - 10
Asst. Sub Inspector - 3
Head Constable - 8
Constable - 19
Total - 41
- Daily patrolling within the
Tourist interested area in Kathmandu valley.
- Opening Tourist Police Post
in different area including Airport (TIA) and
- Quick action and investigation
have taken seriously in any tourist complaints.
- To provide information on travel
- To ensure hassle free trip by
keeping hawkers, beggars and street children
away from tourist.
- To assist tourist whenever need
Tourist Police would like to make
your visit to our country as pleasant and safe
as possible. You can help them further by following
these Simple Tips: -
- Tourists are requested to follow
up the rule of HMG of Nepal.
- Inform about your problems and
complaints to the nearest Police Station/Tourist
- Avail the services of government
registered travel/ trekking agencies only.
- Inform your whereabouts immediately
upon arrival to the local Police or concerned
- Stay at government registered
hotels/resorts/guest house/lodges only.
- Use only those porters who are
authorized by your travel agency or hotel.
- Exchange foreign currency only
at authorized places. Never carry your wallet
in the back pocket.
- Make sure your wallet is in
the inside jacket pocket or side pocket of the
- Carry certified copies of documents
and leave the originals and other valuables
in the safe deposit box of your hotel.
- Never leave these items unattended
in your room or carry large sums of cash on
- Carry traveler's cheaques and
limited amount of cash while on tour.
- Never leave your luggage and
other valuables unattended at any time, any
- In case of any theft/loss, immediately
contact the nearest Police Station/Tourist Police.
- To provide information
regarding security aspect of your travel and
- To respond promptly to your
problems or complaints.
- To try our best to provide you
a hassle free trip by keeping you away from
hawkers, beggars and street children.
- To assist you wherever and whenever
you need us.
Please Keep in Mind
- To inform your whereabouts immediately
upon arrival to local Police or concerned Embassies.
- To be aware of unauthorized
agencies and unlicensed person
- Always make Travel and Trekking
arrangement with authorized agencies only.
- To make sure to deposit your
valuable items in safe deposit.
- Please allow your luggage to
be carried by porters authorized by your travel
agency or hotel only.
- To discourage hawkers and beggars.
- To note Taxi number which you
hired or travel.
- To send your complaints in a
prescribed form by Post / Fax / person (Which
is distributed in our Tourist Police Counters).
- Drug-abuse, trafficking and
sexual relation with children are strictly prohibited.
The offenders will be punished according to
the National law.
- You are here for enjoyment not
- We do not want to see you inside
the Police custody & behind the bars.
Tourism Industry Division
Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation
Bhrikutimandap, Kathmandu, Nepal